Short interview with Sean Cannell, Campus Pastor of The Church OC and former Director of Communications at The Church LV, about How to Get Started in Church Communication.
How to Get Started in Church Communication with Sean Cannell
5 Tips for Getting Started in Church Communications:
- Get a Mentor – Mentoring is the difference between a promising creative person and a successful one. [Tweet]
- Be a Learner – Read Books from the best and brightest voices in the church communications field. Read blogs and watch online videos from the church media and marketing gurus and the best of the best outside of the the church arena.
- Join an Internship – Get around experts and get your hands on high level, real world projects.
- Do the Work – In the book Outliers, author Malcolm Gladwell says that it takes roughly ten thousand hours of practice to achieve mastery in a field. It takes 5 years working 40 hours a week to reach ten thousand hours. Create stuff and learn various creative disciplines like video production, copywriting, social media and church leadership in general. Appreciate the journey and be patient, you’ll get there!
- Keep Showing Up – Woody Allen said, “Eighty percent of success is showing up.” Success won’t happen overnight but just be committed to keep learning, keep showing up and God will weave all the pieces together.
Download a copy of Sean Cannell’s Book GET NOTICED! How to Use Social Media to Grow Your Brand and Reach More People FREE for a limited time. Check it out here: getnoticedbook.net
Future of The Church:
Our friend Steven Siwek and the FutureChurch.com Team created this interview. They have a lot of great church leadership content coming out so check them out! You can also watch the full interview with Sean Cannell at http://futurechurch.com/.
Music Courtesy of Illect Recordings (We love these guys):
What other tips would you give to those wanting to get started in Church Communications? Let us know in the comments!